On Wednesday, after bitcoin prices hit a new record, thousands of bitcoins from the August 2, 2016 Bitfinex hack were transferred to unknown wallets. The exact number of BTC moved from the hack isn’t entirely clear, but a blockchain parser shows that more than 12,208 BTC from the 2016 Bitfinex breach worth $ 754 million were moved to different addresses today.
- On August 2, 2016, Bitfinex exchange was hacked for approximately 119,756 BTC, which is worth $ 7.5 billion based on current exchange rates. That day, the price per bitcoin (BTC) dropped 22%, but the exchange managed to repay customers with a different token.
- Over the past year, a number of stolen bitcoins from the Bitfinex hack have been moved. As the price of BTC got higher, Bitfinex hacker coins have moved more frequently.
- Using a blockchain parser, Btcparser.com, Bitcoin.com News discovered 11,799 BTC from the 2016 Bitfinex hack carried over at block height 679,205 to 679,214.
- The number of BTC being moved from hackers’ stash today could be much greater. And more moves could take place today as BTC was carried over from the Bitfinex 2016 hack while this report was being written.
- At current exchange rates, the 11,799 BTC is worth more than $ 742 million today. These transfers of more than 30 transactions are one of the biggest moves the Bitfinex hackers have made to date. The blockchain parser Whale Alert also caught trades that began after 1:00 p.m. EST.
- Members of the Telegram channel Goldfoundinsh * t believe that “this awakening was done with the intention of lowering the price a bit. Since Coinbase is on the list and many people want to go with it for a long time. “
- “We assume that the hackers can try to manipulate the price, so it’s no ordinary hacker,” said a member of the Telegram channel Goldfoundinsh * t.
- After clearing the 11,799 BTC between block heights 679,205 to 679,212, another 409 BTC moved from the Bitfinex hack. This brought the estimated total to 12,208 BTC worth more than $ 754 million.
- “Our Btcparser has just signed several bitcoin moves from the Bitfinex exchange hack. Just in time, I’d say, ”Taisia, the Goldfoundinsh * t leader, told Bitcoin.com News. “Traditionally such news has caused a mess, and given the current euphoria over Coinbase’s direct listing on the Nasdaq, it has been a great temptation to cut off the wings of the ‘lungs’.”
- Coinbase stock (Nasdaq: COIN) is currently trading for $ 332 at time of publication.
What do you think of the 12,208 bitcoin that has moved from the Bitfinex hacker wallets to unknown wallets? Let us know what you think about this topic in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or invitation to an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of products, services or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.